[vc_row][vc_column][vc_custom_heading text=”Intrauterine Insemination Treatment Centre Delhi” font_container=”tag:h1|text_align:left”][vc_single_image image=”946″ img_size=”full”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]IVF Sir Gangaram Hospital is the best among the IUI Treatment centres in Delhi NCR. Intrauterine insemination (IUI) is a popular technique in which a fresh semen sample of male partner is processed in the laboratory is introduced directly into the uterine cavity. During natural intercourse, semen is ejaculated in the vagina and only 1-2% of the sperms reach the uterine cavity for conception. In IUI, semen sample is processed in IUI laboratory to separate the sperms from the liquid pool of the semen, which contains bacteria, pus cells and other debris. This separated sperm concentrate is then incubated with nutrient media to gain maximum sperm motility. Finally, this concentrated volume of prepared semen (0.4-.05ml) is instilled directly into uterine cavity so that higher concentration of motile sperms is available at the site of fertilization thus improving the chance of conception. IUI can be done in a natural cycle also but best results are achieved when insemination is coupled with ovulation induction by fertility drugs.
Highlights of IUI treatment at our centre in Delhi
- We select our patients very carefully before giving them a trial of IUI.
- The medications that are given for ovarian stimulation are chosen after full consideration of the patient’s profile.
- Every IUI cycle is monitored with help of USG & hormonal testing.
- We do one well-timed single insemination, which reduces the cost of the procedure without affecting the success rate.
- Our unit is a FOGSI approved training centre for training in IUI techniques.
Frequently asked questions on IUI:
Which couples benefits from IUI?
IUI is done to enhance the fertility in couples where no definite factor appears to be responsible for couple’s infertility. Investigations of women should confirm that she is ovulating either naturally or with ovulatory drugs, has one or both fallopian tubes open and healthy and has a normal uterine cavity. IUI can also benefit couples with marginally low sperm count and motility.
What is donor Insemination?
Under normal circumstances, IUI uses sperms from the husband. However, in cases of severe male factor infertility where sperm count is zero or has severely abnormal sperms with regard to shape or motility, insemination can be done with screened samples from anonymous donors with consent from the couple. These samples are available at authorized registered semen banks.
Steps of IUI Treatment
- Couple is evaluated by history and thorough investigations to see if they are fit for this procedure.
- Ovulation -inducing drugs are usually started on Day 2 or day 3 of menstrual cycle. Commonly used oral medicines are clomiphene which is given for 5 days. Injections (gonadotropins) can also be used for ovarian stimulation starting from day 2 or 3 of the cycle. The injectable gonadotropins produce greater number and better quality of eggs which further increase the chances of pregnancy. Since the injections are costly and have to be taken daily, they usually reserved for cases where pregnancy fails to occur on oral drugs.
- Monitoring of cycles is done by ultrasound to see the growth of follicles. Usually 3-4 ultrasounds are done in one treatment cycle. In patients on injections, blood tests (serum estradiol) may also be required.
- When follicles are ready (at least one follicle> 18mm) one injection of Hcg is given to cause the rupture of follicle and release the egg. After this injection, ovulation usually occurs between 36-48 hours.
- After 40-48 hours of Hcg injection, couple is called for the procedure of IUI. Ultrasound of female partner is done to document ovulation. However, IUI can be few hours before or after the ovulation. Fresh semen sample of male partner is collected 2-3 hrs before IUI and then it is washed, prepared and injected on the same day. IUI is performed in the OPD and no admission or bed rest is required. Usually there is no restricted in natural intercourse after the procedure. However, the couple should follow their clinician’s advice regarding any further instructions.
- Pregnancy test can be performed 14 after days with urine pregnancy kit in the morning by the first urine sample or by blood test (Serum Beta Hcg)
Complications of the procedure:
IUI is a very safe treatment and complications are infrequent.
- Brief uterine cramping can occur during or after procedure, which can be relieved by mild analgesics.
- Very rarely, infection can occur. Patients should report back if fever and or severe pain abdomen, vomiting, loose motions occur after the procedure.
- When medicines are used for ovulation, risk of ovarian hyperstimulation and multiple pregnancies also exist. These complications are more with injectable than oral medications.
Success rate of IUI
The success rates of controlled ovarian stimulation and IUI is between 10-20 percent, hence repeated cycles may be required to achieve pregnancy. After 5-6 cycles of IUI, if pregnancy does not occur despite all investigations being normal, consider other options including IVF with your consultant.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column][/vc_column][/vc_row]