The possibilities of success vary from person to person. We at IVF Sir Gangaram Hospital is the largest and most experienced tertiary care IVF Centre in Delhi of North India performing over 1200 fresh cycles and 300 frozen- thawed ET cycles annually with all fertility services under one roof. There are certain factors on which success rate of IVF depends on:
Type of Infertility:
- Primary infertility: fertility with no earlier pregnancy
- Secondary infertility: infertility among the couple who had a child in the past.
- Sterility: Different from infertility, in this there is no chance of getting pregnant.
Some of the causes of Primary and Secondary Infertility are enlisted below:
- Sperm Problems: – If sperm count or mobility is extremely low or no sperm formation, it can cause fertility issues.
- Ovarian dysfunction- IVF success rate is dependent on ovulation. Ovulation means ovary shed the eggs. Ovulation usually occurs on the fourteenth day of next menses. Some females do not properly ovulate, like for instance no ovulation (anovulation) at all or at several times of the year (oligo-ovulation).
These females often need medications to stimulate more regular egg development and ovulation to increase the chance of the pregnancy. At times these conditions lead to Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). Improper ovulation hampers IVF success.
- Age -Increased age can cause the problem in getting pregnant. Female age plays an important role. The real issue is egg quantity and quality. With age egg quality declines. Younger women have higher chances of success. Women under 35 have 40 percent success rate. However, with increased age chances reduce to 4 percent. Every couple and individual is unique and could be more or less fertile as compared to their age. It's been seen in some cases 23 years old are still fertile whereas 30 years old has significant egg quality.
- Male Age and Fertility- Male aging doesn't matter much when it comes to fertility. Women's eggs are present at birth, while sperm is produced constantly. Yes, but if we compare sperms from older and younger man, sperm quality may reduce, fertilize potential declines in the older man. But if sperms with reduced quality fertilize the eggs it does not reflect on embryo quality.
# Smokers have lower implantation rates; the higher dosage of fertility drugs are required.
# It has been seen that fertilization cycles are affected in women who smokes.
# Pregnancy: – Chances increase if pregnant earlier with the same partners. Factors like miscarriages might reduce IVF success. One should see a Fertility Specialist after 12 months.